One of the simplest and most detailed aspects of your Paper 2 exam is news reports. They should be detailed. So, you may need to use up a large portion of your ink to get this right!
It is important to plan ahead, what you want to compose. This makes it easier to present the facts in a coherent way. As a result, you will obtain more marks.
What is a Newspaper report?
Newspapers are read by people who want information about something that has happened. They want reports quickly so reports have to be easy to read and have a snappy presentation style. They tell readers about events that have been happening in their local area, or national or international news.
Features of Newspaper report
- Consider a headline that captures the essence of the event. It should excite the reader's curiosity. Exaggeration is effective in this case.
- Place the byline after the headline, this will be the name of the reporter who is reporting the event.
- The place should be written just before the content. This is the reporter’s current location.
Example- New Delhi: (your content)
- The first paragraph should contain the 5W’s and 1H-What, Where, When, Why, Who and How.
- The second paragraph should contain the testimonies of people who are related to the event at hand. If you want to include what people said make sure it is in direct speech (inverted commas) or indirect speech (no inverted comma).
- In the third paragraph briefly talk about what will happen in the future concerning the story. This is to develop a curiosity in the mind of the reader.
- Another pointer, use past tense at all times, since the reporter mentions an event which already took place.
Example of Newspaper Report:
Q) Write a newspaper report for your local newspaper based on one of the following events:
b) Cricket tournament
c) Football league
How to Plan
What - Cricket tournament
When - On the 18 of March 20xx
Where - Omega International School, Chennai
Who - Team Blue won
Why - Annual Sports Event
How - By defeating team Team Yellow
Give more details about how the match happened
Give the testimonies from Team Blue Captain
When will the next tournament occur?
Additional details if required
Fierce Cricket Match
-(Your name) Chennai: On the 18th of March 2021, A cricket tournament was organized in Omega School, Chennai. The tournament was organized by the school authorities as part of their annual sports event. There were four teams: Red, blue, yellow and green. The blue team won the match defeating the yellow team in the finals.
The first match was between red and blue teams. Team blue quickly eliminated team red in an hour. In the second round, it was team yellow against green. Team yellow eliminated team green also in about an hour. In the final round, team blue versus team yellow. After two hours, team blue eliminated team yellow and won the tournament. After the tournament, team blue's captain said, "It was a tough match against the yellow team, but we won. I can't express how I feel. Thank you all for supporting us."
The winners of team blue received a cash prize of 1000 rupees. The authorities informed the next tournament will be conducted on the same date next year. In the next tournament, there will be an addition of three teams: Orange, pink and purple. "The stadium will be much bigger than this, for the next tournament," informed the authorities.
Having trouble understanding these concepts? Do you want assistance from a subject matter expert? Here, at Vidyalai we help your child achieve the grade they aspire for. Our SMEs are trained and experienced tutors who will provide you with each and every help when required.
We are just a click away. Request your first lesson now.. We guarantee 100% satisfaction on your first session, if you are not satisfied,the session will be absolutely free.