This syllabus is designed for students who are learning German as a foreign language. The aim is to develop an ability to use the language effectively for practical communication. The course is based on the linked language skills of listening, reading, speaking and writing, and these are built on as learners progress through their studies. The syllabus also aims to offer insights into the culture of countries where German is spoken, thus encouraging positive attitudes towards language learning and towards speakers of other languages.
Aims of the Syllabus
The aims are to-
• Develop the ability to communicate effectively using the target language
• Offer insights into the culture and society of countries where the language is spoken
• Develop awareness of the nature of language and language learning
• Encourage positive attitudes towards speakers of other languages and a sympathetic approach to other cultures and civilisations
• Provide enjoyment and intellectual stimulation
• Develop transferable skills (e.g. analysis, memorising, drawing of inferences) to complement other areas of the curriculum
• Form a sound base of the skills, language and attitudes required for progression to work or further study, either in the target language or another subject area.
The subject content is organised around five broad Topic areas which provide contexts for the acquisition of vocabulary and the study of grammar and structures. Through the study of these Topic areas, candidates gain insight into target language countries and communities. The Topic areas are-
• Everyday activities
• Personal and social life
• The world around us
• The world of work
• The international world.
Objevtives of Assessment
Understand and respond to spoken language.
Understand and respond to written language.
Communicate in speech, showing knowledge of a range and variety of vocabulary, and applying the grammar and structures of the target language accurately.
Communicate in writing, showing knowledge of a range and variety of vocabulary, and applying the grammar and structures of the target language accurately.
Approximately 45 minutes
Candidates listen to a number of recordings and answer questions testing comprehension. Externally assessed.
Candidates read a number of texts and answer questions testing comprehension. Externally assessed.
Approximately 15 minutes
Candidates complete two role plays, a topic presentation/conversation and a general
conversation. Internally assessed/externally moderated.
Candidates respond in the target language to three tasks. Externally assessed.